Preventing Spinal Cord Injury
The following prevention tips are from the Center for Disease Control and the Spinal Cord Injury Information Network.
In the Car
- Wear a seat belt every time you drive or ride in a car.
- Buckle children into a child safety seat, a booster seat, or a seat belt, as appropriate for their age.
- Keep firearms and ammunition locked in a cabinet or safe.
- Use a step stool with a grab bar to reach objects on a high shelf.
- Install handrails on stairways.
- Install window guards to protect young children.
- Use safety gates at the top and bottom of stairs when young children are around.
- Wear all required safety gear when playing sports, and make sure your children do.
- Never engage in head first moves such as spearing or sliding headfirst into a base.
- Avoid hitting the boards with your head in ice hockey.
- Insist on spotters when doing new or difficult moves in gymnastics.