Medicaid: Services Required of States
Categorically needy recipients receive the following services without charge:
- Inpatient hospital services
- Outpatient hospital services
- Laboratory and X-ray services
- Skilled nursing facility services
- Home health services for individuals over age 21
- Physician services
- Early periodic screening, diagnosis, and treatment services for individuals under age 21
- Family planning services
- Certain rural health clinic services
States may limit the duration and scope of these mandated services, as long as adequate care is provided.
States must also make arrangements to assure that recipients can get to and from needed medical services, let recipients choose among qualified care providers, and assure access to services on a statewide basis.